Wednesday, November 20, 2013

The Farmer's Wife Sampler: a finished quilt

The Farmer's Wife Quilt - b
Well, this is another one of those quilts that I like so much more now that it's done and has taken a trip through the washer and dryer! It really is a perfect quilt for fall.
I think this one sat unfinished for such a long time because I couldn't figure out how to quilt it. I really wanted to do something elaborate in each square but I wasn't able to send it out to be professionally quilted. And then I didn't know what color thread to quilt it in. After much debate, I decided on a neutral tan color. I wanted something to blend in the with brown borders, but not stand out too much on the cream print. This ended up working out perfectly. I stippled over it all for the quilting (I just like how that looks and it's relatively easy for me to do) and the thread blends in nicely with all the colorful blocks. What a relief, because after making all those blocks, I really didn't want to mess it up in the end! :)
The Farmer's Wife Quilt - a
The Farmer's Wife Quilt - d
The Farmer's Wife Quilt : finished
The Farmer's Wife Quilt - e
The Farmer's Wife Quilt - f
It really was a fun quilt to make. All the different blocks kept me interested in the sewing and digging through the scrap bins remided me of lots of other sewing projects that I've done throughout the years.

The picture below is a favorite of mine. The puppy silhouette is of our sweet schnauzer who just turned 11 years old this past weekend!
The Farmer's Wife Quilt - c
Thanks for visiting with me!
~Jessica

Quilt Stats:
size: approx. 57" x 67"
pattern: The Farmer's Wife Sampler Quilt Book by Laurie Aaron Hird
fabrics: all the blocks were pieced from scraps; the cream is a Haybale print from the Farm Fresh Collection by October Afternoon and the brown dot and binding are from the Flea Market Fancy by Denyse Schmidt.
pieced, quilted and bound by Jessica

16 comments:

Jodi said...

Ohh, how very pretty! I love your determination in getting it done! I started with Farmer's wife but made the first five or six blocks the wrong size, then quickly gave up. Shame on me! But kudos to you - it's lovely!

Melia Mae Quilting said...

It turned out gorgeous! Excellent job!

Debbie said...

This turned out so lovely! I know this had to be a labor of love, and I think you've been rewarded with a really special quilt!

belarmina said...

felicidades esta preciosa !!
¿cuando veré la mía terminada?
quiero 110 bloques y tengo 70
saludos

Nann said...

Congratulations on a very fine finish! I understand the hesitation about the quilting: one's own ability vs. the expense of sending it out. Your solution was just right.

Jean said...

This is beautiful. Definitely a great autumn quilt.

Jeanie said...

Love it!!!!!

toria said...

this is beautiful! i own this book and can't wait to start! thanks for the inspiration!

Glinda ♥ said...

Must finish mine one day! Yours is really lovely and I think your quilting ideas worked out brilliantly :)

Adrianne said...

This is a truly beautiful quilt - it has a really lovely vintage look to it. I think the choice of sashing fabric really ties all the blocks together and works unexpectedly well.

Pamela said...

I love it! I just bought the book and think I want to make mine out of Christmas fabrics - maybe I can get it done in a year? Don't know, still working on my Dear Jane!

Lisa C said...

This is really a beauty and I don't even like brown! Great job.

Karen said...

It looks wonderful! Definitely a heirloom quilt you have made. Great sashing choice.

Jacki said...

Beautiful quilt!! It looks great!!

Blue.Ridge.Girl said...

So fun to see a Farmer's Wife quilt all finished! Yours really turned out beautifully. I think the stipple quilting matches the look of sampler quilts perfectly.

ps...cute schnauzer! Our lab just turned 8 this week.

Randi Jones said...

Wow, this is amazing!